I was probably 11 years old when I saw Inherit the Wind and realized that when I grew up I wanted to be Clarence Darrow as portrayed by Spencer Tracy. Reading Clarence Darrow for the Defense did little to discourage me. On the contrary, it presented the exciting idea that a lawyer could make a difference.
It took a few more years for me to realize that no matter the course of study or the degree, I just couldn’t be Clarence Darrow. There was this little matter of gender. And while I know that there were little girls who, using the same dream, did grow up to be lawyers fighting for truth, justice, and the American Way, I wasn’t one of them.
Ruth Bader Ginsburg did not need a fantasy to decide she was going to become a lawyer. She just needed to fall in love—or such is the tongue-in-cheek suggestion in one of the recent bestsellers about her life.
In 1950, when Ruth Bader began studying at Cornell University, it was one of only two Ivy League colleges that accepted both men and women and allowed them to attend the same classes. The first thing she did upon her arrival at Cornell was memorize where the women’s bathrooms were, according to the best-selling Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
There was another thing she did at Cornell that changed her life: She met a young man named Marty Ginsburg.
from Daily Kos http://ift.tt/1Q83LwJ
0 التعليقات:
Post a Comment