Search Google

3/29/17

Hollywood's Loudest Trump Naysayers Are Joining Forces


On Friday, The Huffington Post will partner with Funny or Die to promote the 21st-century telethon Stand for Rights: A Benefit for the ACLU. The Facebook Live event will gather celebrities to raise money for the American Civil Liberties Union, which has opposed certain of President Donald Trump’s actions since his election.


Packed with beloved A-listers including Tom Hanks, Jon Hamm and Tina Fey, just about every famous person known for speaking out against Trump is going to be there. The full list has not yet been released, but it’s basically a celebrity Trump-resistance supergroup.


The ACLU previously joined forces with Hollywood during the 2017 Oscars, when the organization encouraged major nominees to wear blue ribbons in support of its work “protecting the rights of everyone in America.”


Stand for Rights will begin at 7 p.m. ET on March 31, streaming live in a few places including the Facebook pages of The Huffington Post and Funny Or Die


As of today, the event released a few more names such as “Saturday Night Live” members Cecily Strong and Colin Jost. More names will be made public shortly, but some of the celebrities scheduled to participate are outlined below.


 


Alec Baldwin, whose name is essentially synonymous with Trump at the moment.



Baldwin debuted his Trump impression on “Saturday Night Live” before the election, but obviously his take is even more relevant now that Trump is president.


Besides frequently tweeting and retweeting anti-Trump messages over Twitter, Baldwin plans to voice an upcoming audiobook as Trump


 


Tina Fey, who recommended Baldwin for the Trump gig and criticized Trump elsewhere.



”SNL” overlord Lorne Michaels claimed that Fey brought the idea of Baldwin-as-Trump to him.


In an interview with David Letterman for The Hollywood Reporter, Fey elaborated on the Baldwin-Trump connection:



Fey: But I could reassemble them, sir. Did you see that my friend Mr. [Alec] Baldwin is in a Twitter feud with our president-elect? [Baldwin responded to Trump’s complaints about “SNL” parodies of him.]


Letterman: Good for him.


Fey: At one level, it just makes me feel sick for the state of the world because it’s so beneath a president, but also my feeling is: “You think you’re good at being a jerk on Twitter? You will now face the grandmaster of being a jerk on Twitter.”



 


Amy Poehler, who revived Leslie Knope from “Parks and Recreation” to contrast the character’s hopeful idealism with Trump’s hateful rhetoric.



Following Trump’s election victory, Poehler wrote a letter as her Leslie Knope character (who kept a picture of Hillary Clinton in her office) encouraging people to donate to the ACLU. Here’s the introduction:




Dear America,


Amidst the confusion, and despair, and disbelief, it was suggested to me by a very close friend of mine (I won’t say her name, to protect her identity) (Ann. It was Ann) that perhaps a few people would enjoy hearing my thoughts on this election. So I sat down at my computer, cleared my head, and opened a document. Then I started crying. So I had some hot chocolate, and my close friend (Ann) rubbed my back for a while, and I got myself together, and sat down. And started crying. Then more Ann comforting me, and more hot chocolate, and back and forth like that for about six hours or so, the chain of hot-chocolate-and-back-rubs only interrupted briefly when I had to run to the store for more hot chocolate packets (“Just give me all of them, all the boxes,” I remember saying, through tears, to a very scared stockroom boy) and now I am ready to go.




Read the full letter here.


 


Mahershala Ali, who used his SAG Awards acceptance speech to indirectly criticize Trump’s ban on refugees and tone on Muslims.



The Screen Actors Guild Awards occurred shortly after the president signed an executive order banning people from Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S. During an acceptance speech for his performance in “Moonlight,” Ali spoke at length about his faith and the value of immigration. Here’s an excerpt from the full speech:



We kind of get caught up in the minutia and the details that make us all different. I think there’s two ways of seeing that: There’s an opportunity to see the texture of that person, the characteristics that make them unique, and then there’s the opportunity to go to war about it, and to say that that person is different than me, and I don’t like you, so let’s battle.


My mother is an ordained minister. I’m a Muslim. She didn’t do backflips when I called her to tell her I converted 17 years ago. But I tell you now ― you put things to the side, and I’m able to see her and she’s able to see me. We love each other. The love has grown. And that stuff is minutia. It’s not that important. 



 


Michael Moore, who was one of the most notable people to predict Trump’s win last year.



Moore predicted all the way back in July that Trump would win the presidency ― a claim that garnered particular attention after the election.


Since then, the filmmaker has inspired more headlines by claiming Trump will get us killed and by referring to him as a “so-called president.” Moore has also used his platform to highlight protests against Trump’s policies and created a blueprint to resistance


 


Tracy Morgan, who said he’s “going back” into a coma thanks to Trump.



Tracy Morgan was in a coma for about two weeks after a car crash in 2014. Over roughly the last year, the comedian has slowly returned to show business, a path that has included interviews with longtime friends such as Jimmy Fallon.


On the “Tonight Show” in early 2016, Fallon mentioned how strange it must be for Morgan to learn about current events he missed during his recovery. Morgan responded: “Yeah, things are different. Donald Trump is leading in the polls. I’m going back.”


Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin, Tom Hanks, Tracy Morgan, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Michael Moore, Padma Lakshmi and a whole host of other stars are teaming up for Stand for Rights: A Benefit for the ACLU. Donate now and join us at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, March 31, on Facebook Live. #standforrights2017 

-- This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.



from The Huffington Post | The Full Feed http://ift.tt/2nzV2x3

0 التعليقات:

Post a Comment

Search Google

Blog Archive