Search Google

4/2/17

Free family fishing is offered Saturday at Cameron Refuge

So I picked up my gardening needs over the last few days.

Took the annual trip up to Forest Hill for its festival and then out to Burton Coliseum for the function put on by the Master Gardeners. Also visited some of the local nurseries.

Now scattered on a 6-foot table up against the backyard porch awaiting planting are tomato, pepper, cucumber and onion plants as well as bushes, flowers and an abundance of bulbs that I do not know the name but which my wife tells me she will plant at a certain date.

My gardening days certainly aren’t what they used to be.

Time was when my garden would take up almost half of the backyard. Even had former McNeese State football coach and Athletic Director Jack Doland (who would later become university president and a state senator) picking beans one year.

But, that too was when I had a neighbor by the name of Mrs. Elma Weeks who could raise anything and guided me in the right direction.

She was the best. She’d put a tomato plant into the ground and it seemed like overnight fruit would be sprouted from the stem.

I listened. I took notes. But when she passed away, I just couldn’t keep the garden up to her standards.

Also, my gardening landscape greatly depleted when we put in a pool.

So, I don’t plant much in the way of vegetables now. Just a few in one lone line.

But, I do have a neighbor who is a master gardener and he tries to keep me straight.

This year he’ll be helping me with my eight tomato plants, two bell peppers, two jalapenos peppers, four cucumbers and two batches of multiplying onions.

I’m looking for a good crop.

l

As for fishing, if you want to get in some pond fishing now is your chance.

Actually it’s pond fishing in the marsh as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries and the friends of the Southwest Louisiana National Wildlife Refuge Complex and Wetlands are hosting a free family fishing festival on Saturday at Cameron Prairie National Wildlife Refuge (La. 27).

Participants will be fishing for bass and catfish on three ponds behind the refuge’s headquarters. Licenses will be required and fishing regulations will apply.

Fishing will be from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Some loaner fishing equipment as well as bait will be available and those fishing can also bring their own.

l

Louis Bonnette’s outdoors column appears each Sunday. Contact him at 274-5689

or lbonnette@mcneese.edu



from American Press: Your Best News And Advertising Source - Home http://ift.tt/2nZFBPg

0 التعليقات:

Post a Comment

Search Google

Blog Archive